The first English foundation of the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary was made in response to an invitation from Father Thomas Kelly, parish priest of St. James, Bootle, Liverpool, who was looking for a community of women religious to help him to found parish schools where children could be instructed in the Catholic religion. A group of sisters was sent from Béziers to Liverpool in 1872.
Sister Eugène with pupils at Marsh Lane School, Bootle, England
Work got under way quickly and prospered, expanding to several other places: Barrow-in-Furness, London, Carlisle, Preston and Upminster. One group that profited most from the presence of the RSHM in England was the Catholic children from ages five to thirteen for whom the Education Act of 1870 made schooling compulsory. Throughout the Liverpool area, the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary staffed numerous parish schools and, over the years, taught thousands of students.
Early days at teh school in Seaforth, Liverpool, England
In London, Liverpool, and many other areas of England, RSHM sisters are involved today in education, including an international school in London, school chaplaincy, counseling, retreats, spiritual direction, parish ministry, visiting the sick and homebound, and ministry with the homeless and with adults with learning disabilities.
Seaforth, Liverpool, England