In 1954, Mother Gertrude Cain, superior of the Western American Province, received a request from Bishop Joseph T. McGucken, auxiliary bishop of Los Angeles, encouraging her to start a school in Cuernavaca, Mexico. After assessing the possibilities of opening a school there, two Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary moved into an unfurnished house on December 8, 1957, and on February 9, 1958, classes began with 35 students.
First Marymount in Cuernavaca, México
The school grew and flourished under the leadership of the sisters until 1989 when a lay Board of Trustees was approved and began operation of the school in October the same year.
Current Marymount Cuernavaca, México
Attentive to the call of the Church and the Institute to serve those most in need, in 1974 a group of sisters from the community in Cuernavaca formed a new community to minister to orphans in La Institucion Nuestros Pequenos Hermanos in the same city. Since that time, three RSHM communities have been formed in Mexico to serve the poor, one in Mexico City, one in Cuernavaca, and one in Amacuzac.
Blessing of the farm near Amacuzac, México