“Unless something is done a generation of children will grow up without any Catholic education.” Archbishop John Cantwell
The educational tradition of the RSHM and Marymount is rooted in Father Jean Gailhac’s vision, “that all may have life, life to the full,” and that education is a means of transforming society.
In response to the request of Bishop John J. Cantwell of Los Angeles, Mother Joseph Butler RSHM founded Marymount in the West. Five sisters made the arduous cross-country journey from New York to establish this new mission. Arriving in Los Angeles, they were welcomed and given hospitality by the Immaculate Heart of Mary Sisters.
Marymount School, Los Angeles opened in September 1923 at 814 W. 28 Street, Los Angeles, with five students. With steadily increasing numbers and taking on boarders, plans were made for the needs of a growing student population. Under Mother Butler’s direction, the RSHM undertook the task of finding a new location which would fulfill the needs, not merely of the present, but into the future.
Conscious of the abiding traditions of Marymount, the Junior and High Schools students, in 1928 celebrated May Day, staged French plays and music recitals. The student body advanced in wisdom, age, grace, and numbers.